A visit to the 108 Heritage site will take you back to the days of the famous Mile Houses on the Cariboo Waggon Road. Originally pre-empted by William J. Roper in 1863, the 108 Roadhouse or Hotel was completed in 1867 and Roper stayed on operating here until 1871. Then in 1875 the Roadhouse was operated for nearly a decade by the infamous McVee family.
This collection of preserved heritage buildings include the 105 Mile Roadhouse, moved here when the new highway threatened to destroy it, and the largest log barn in Canada, built to house working Clydesdale horses. The site is operated by the local Historical Society and is open annually from May long weekend to September Labour day long weekend. A great rest stop for travellers year round, the site includes a series of picnic tables, washrooms, a small picnic shelter, information boards and a very large parking lot friendly to RVs and bus tours. At the south end of the parking lot is a tunnel leading under the highway connecting to the 108 Community Trail Network and Easements; a system of trails used for hiking, biking and horseback riding in the sunshine months and cross country skiing in the winter months.